Saturday, April 24, 2010

Why does pigment leakage decrease from a beetroot when it is cooked at 97 degrees C?

I have done an experiment into membrane permeabiltiy, i have peices of beetroot into heated water of different temps and used a colorimeter to find my results, these worked ok the results showed less light percentage on the colorimeter as the tep increased except at 97 degrees C. why does this happen any help will be a huge helps thanks in advance

Why does pigment leakage decrease from a beetroot when it is cooked at 97 degrees C?
I assume by "except at 97 degrees" you don't mean that at 96 and 98 degree everything was normal.





Say if you had 20, 60 and 97 degrees, the reason why the colorimeter shows a decrease at the highest temperature is that the pigments in the beet break down (I think they break down above 80 degrees). I'm not sure the mechanism, but I think its enhanced oxidation.


No comments:

Post a Comment